Covid-19 Latest travel information Tenerife South Airport
Covid 19 – Coronavirus – Tenerife South Airport
Ensuring that we all stay safe from Covid-19 is everyone’s responsibility. Help us to protect you by reading the advice and by following the rules at all times.
Health controls for travellers arriving from the EU or Schengen-countries have been discontinued.
Travellers arriving from non-EU, non-Schengen countries will continue to be subject to health controls. They will need to provide proof of vaccination OR recovery OR a negative test result via an EU Digital Covid Certificate or equivalent certificate.
It is no longer necessary to complete a health questionnaire.
Important Points to Consider Before Setting off to the Airport
- The use of face masks may still be required for some airlines and at some airports. Please remember to bring enough face masks as well as hand sanitising gel to last you for the duration of your journey.
- All arrivals from third countries (non-EU / non-Schengen) need to provide proof of vaccination OR recovery OR a negative test result via an EU Digital Covid Certificate or equivalent certificate. For more information, please see below.
Tenerife South Airport Opening Times during Covid-19
Tenerife South Airport is open to passengers as well as non-travellers (e.g. friends or family taking or collecting passengers to or from the airport) during the hours of 6 am to 11 pm.
From 11 pm to 6 am, only passengers (2 hours prior to flight departure time) and airport staff are permitted to enter the terminal building.
Coronavirus Rules at Tenerife South Airport
- As of 20/04/2022, it is no longer mandatory to wear a face mask at Tenerife South Airport.
- Follow the instructions provided by airport staff, on screens, signs and over the public address system at all times.
- Keep a distance of 1.5 metres to other passengers whenever possible. Respect the markings and footprint signs throughout the airport.
- Clean your hands regularly and make use of the hand sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the airport.
- Do not drink from any of the water fountains – only use these to fill up a bottle or cup.
- Avoid unnecessary contact with surfaces at the airport and at car hire desks as much as possible. Please keep in mind that this also applies for your onward journey, e.g. on public transport likes buses or taxis.
Departing from Tenerife South Airport during Covid-19
- Familiarise yourself with the current entry regulations for the country you are travelling to several days prior to your departure. Please ensure that you have all the documents needed (e.g. relevant forms, proof of vaccination and/or test results, etc).
- Make sure you have read all the information provided by your airline. Most airlines have placed restrictions on hand luggage in the cabin. Familiarise yourself with your airline’s hand luggage policy.
- Check in online if possible. Take your boarding pass with you to the airport on your mobile or as a print-out.
- Leave for the airport in good time. Your way through check-in and security control may take a little longer than usual.
Covid testing – departures area
There is a Covid testing facility on the first floor in the public departures area. Please see here for more information on Covid testing at Tenerife South airport.
On the Plane and during the Flight
- Ensure that you have read any information provided by your airline concerning preventive measures during the flight.
- Listen carefully to and comply with any instructions given by the cabin crew. Some airlines may still require the wearing of a face mask for the duration of the flight.
- Frequently disinfect your hands using your hand sanitizer. Cough on the inside of your elbow.
- Limit unnecessary movement within the cabin.
- Reduce the use of individual overhead air supply vents/nozzles as much as possible.
- If you begin to experience Coronavirus symptoms during your flight, notify the cabin staff promptly.
Arriving at Tenerife South Airport
- When disembarking or when queuing at passport control, please be mindful of other people’s space. Try to maintain a distance of 1.5 metres whenever possible.
- When collecting your luggage, please wait until the person in front of you has cleared the area.
- The body temperature of passengers arriving from non-EU / non-Schengen countries will be checked with the aid of thermal imaging cameras.
Arrivals from EU- or Schengen-countries
Anyone arriving from the EU or a Schengen-country will no longer be subject to health controls. This means, that proof of vaccination status, recovery or negative test result is currently not needed.
Arrivals from third countries (non-EU / non-Schengen)
Anyone travelling to Tenerife South Airport from a third country must meet one of the following criteria:
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Recovered from COVID-19
- COVID-19 negative as per diagnostic test result (either PCR-test taken within 72 hours to departure to Tenerife or antigen-test taken within 24 hours to departure)
You must be able to show an EU Digital Covid Certificate or equivalent certificate to prove your Covid-status.
Children under the age of twelve are exempt from these requirements.
Please also see our Covid-19 travel documentation page for further details on the criteria and on the documents required.