Covid-19 Latest travel information Tenerife South Airport
Covid 19 – Coronavirus – Tenerife South Airport
Ensuring that we all stay safe from Covid-19 is everyone’s responsibility. Help us to protect you by reading the advice and by following the rules at all times.
Please see below for information on health controls for arrivals from China, please see below.
Health control measures for passengers arriving from non-EU / non-Schengen countries were discontinued with effect from Friday, 21/10/2022.
Health controls for travellers arriving from the EU or Schengen-countries were lifted in June 2022.
Important Points to Consider Before Setting off to the Airport
- You are advised not to travel if you are experiencing any symptoms consistent with Covid-19.
- Please check in online. This will avoid unnecessary queuing and speed up your journey time at the airport.
- The use of face masks may still be required for some airlines. Please remember to bring enough face masks as well as hand sanitising gel to last you for the duration of your journey.
Tenerife South Airport Opening Times during Covid-19
Tenerife South Airport is open to passengers as well as non-travellers (e.g. friends or family taking or collecting passengers to or from the airport) during the hours of 6 am to 11 pm.
From 11 pm to 6 am, only passengers (2 hours prior to flight departure time) and airport staff are permitted to enter the terminal building.
Coronavirus Rules at Tenerife South Airport
- As of 20/04/2022, it is no longer mandatory to wear a face mask at Tenerife South Airport.
- Follow the instructions provided by airport staff, on screens, signs and over the public address system at all times.
- Keep a distance of 1.5 metres to other passengers whenever possible. Respect the markings and footprint signs throughout the airport.
- Clean your hands regularly and make use of the hand sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the airport.
- Do not drink from any of the water fountains – only use these to fill up a bottle or cup.
- Avoid unnecessary contact with surfaces at the airport and at car hire desks as much as possible. Please keep in mind that this also applies for your onward journey, e.g. on public transport likes buses or taxis.
Departing from Tenerife South Airport during Covid-19
- Familiarise yourself with the current entry regulations for the country you are travelling to several days prior to your departure. Please ensure that you have all the documents needed (e.g. relevant forms, proof of vaccination and/or test results, etc).
- Make sure you have read all the information provided by your airline. Most airlines have placed restrictions on hand luggage in the cabin. Familiarise yourself with your airline’s hand luggage policy.
- Check in online if possible. Take your boarding pass with you to the airport on your mobile or as a print-out.
- Leave for the airport in good time. Your way through check-in and security control may take a little longer than usual.
Covid testing – departures area
There is a Covid testing facility on the first floor in the public departures area. Please see here for more information on Covid testing at Tenerife South airport.
On the Plane and during the Flight
- Ensure that you have read any information provided by your airline concerning preventive measures during the flight.
- Listen carefully to and comply with any instructions given by the cabin crew. Some airlines may still require the wearing of a face mask for the duration of the flight.
- Frequently disinfect your hands using your hand sanitizer. Cough on the inside of your elbow.
- Limit unnecessary movement within the cabin.
- Reduce the use of individual overhead air supply vents/nozzles as much as possible.
- If you begin to experience Coronavirus symptoms during your flight, notify the cabin staff.
Arriving at Tenerife South Airport
- When disembarking or when queuing at passport control, please be mindful of other people’s space. Try to maintain a distance of 1.5 metres whenever possible.
- When collecting your luggage, please wait until the person in front of you has cleared the area.
Arrivals from EU- or Schengen-countries
Health control measures for anyone arriving from the EU or a Schengen-country were lifted in June 2022. This means, that proof of vaccination status, recovery or negative test result is no longer needed.
Arrivals from third countries (non-EU / non-Schengen)
Health controls for arrivals from non-EU/non-Schengen countries were discontinued with effect from 21/10/2022. Passengers will no longer need to provide proof of Covid-vaccination / -recovery or a negative test result.
Arrivals from China
All passengers arriving by air in Spain from the People’s Republic of China may be subject to a health check at the first point of entry. This consists of the following:
1) Temperature control
Temperature monitoring with the help of thermal imaging cameras will be carried out routinely in order to identify travellers with fever. A temperature of 37,5 °C or higher is set as the detection limit.
2) Checking of Covid documentation
All persons arriving in Spain from the People’s Republic of China must have an EU digital COVID Certificate or equivalent to provide proof of the following:
The arriving passenger
- Is fully vaccinated against Covid-19
- Has tested negative for Covid-19
- Has recovered from Covid-19
Passengers who do not have an EU digital Covid Certificate or equivalent must provide a negative Covid test result.
Please see here for details on Covid tests and recovery certificate.
3) Random Covid-19 testing on arrival
In addition to the measures listed above, passengers arriving in Spain from the People’s Republic of China may be asked to undergo a diagnostic test for active infection at the point of entry.
The following passengers do not need to undergo health controls:
- Children under twelve years.
- Passengers arriving in Spain in transit to other countries, provided they do not leave the airport environment and their stay in Spain does not exceed twenty-four hours.
For more information, please also see the Boletín Oficial del Estado.